Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day Eighteen

Hello all! This was written two days ago, but is being posted today because I didn't have interwebs/time till now! I'm working on a project, so I likely won't get a chance to post yesterday or today till tomorrow.... I hope!

Today we left to head north for Myvatn around nine, but one of the vans had an engine light come on, so we made a stop on our way - turns out it was nothing though it could have ended poorly had broken down while venturing through the highlands. The landscape was varying from foggy mountain passes to slightly hilly plains finally to a hill overlooking a geothermal area - this hill was brown and exposed in contrast to the black snow-covered surrounds. On the far side was a view of Myvatn - the lake, and  geothermal waste pond - similar to the Blue Lagoon. We're staying at a back country hut-style accommodation in a small town on the edge of the lake. I mostly ate my lunch in the car, so after a quick stop to unpack at the hostel, we moved on to another nearby town to join a conference on Sustainable Tourism in Geothermal Areas.  There were two speakers from New Zealand to talk about the impact tourism has had on their geothermal areas and how they look to volunteers to help enrich the conservation effort. They were fun to listen to because I had seen or heard of many of their case study areas. Unfortunately, the remainder of the conference was in Icelandic, and neither my nor my peer's mastery of the language is yet good enough to listen to lectures! So we ski  dattled after grabbing some free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment