Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day Twenty-Three

Today we drove around the Snaefellsness peninsula on our way back into Reykjavik. We stopped a a really cool black sand beach where the were lava formations that Sharon, Emily and I climbed on our way down to the water. There were also rower's stones - large smooth rocks of varying weights (16-60kg).  If you wanted to row on a viking ship, you would have to be able to lift the heaviest stone! ( I didn't actually walk through this part because we climbed our way down to the beach, so I didn't try....). On our way into town, we stopped a (former?) factory outlet wool store. I almost bought a sweater for ~50$, but the arms were too short, and I couldn't get over that. Stacy ended up buying it though, s it found a nice home!  I did buy some angora socks (sooooo soft!) and 3 spools of wool which I intend to knit into a circle scarf! (or something).  We arrived back at the loft in the mid-late afternoon, and I ended up wandering out alone to get diner. I headed up to Cafe Loki - a place recommended by an add on the plane, and where fermented shark was available, but there was nothing there that i really wanted, so I headed back down the hill away from Hallgrímskirkja (the church that dominates Reykjavik's downtown skyline) to a place called "fish." that I had seen on my way up. I had their fish soup (spicy coconut curry style) which came with delicious Icelandic braud and pesto! (that I thought was green garlic butter, deliiiicious!) As I was finishing my meal, Steve walks in to say hi because he saw me from the street, and I decided to head off with him for a walk. We ended up at YoYo (like menchies) where we loaded up on frozen yogurt and fruit toppings! I then had to head back to the hostel to work on the final presentation/dance for the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment